Have you ever wondered what to consider when buying a personal emergency alarm for an elderly parent?
A personal emergency alarm can provide a sense of security and peace of mind for elderly parents, as it allows them to call for help in an emergency with just a push of a button. Additionally, it can serve as a convenient reminder for medication and appointments, as well as track their physical activity and monitor their overall health. A personal emergency alarm can also provide the ability to keep in touch with loved ones, by receiving calls and messages, which can be especially beneficial for those who live alone.
Considering individual needs, sense of security and peace of mind
When buying a personal emergency alarm for an elderly parent (or duress alarm), it’s important to consider their individual needs and preferences. Circumstances within which these devices are going to be utilised also play an equally important role.
Here are 7 things to discuss when buying a personal emergency alarm for an elderly parent:
1. Explain the safety benefits of having a personal emergency alarm, such as being able to call for help in an emergency. Highlight the fact that it can connect directly to designated contacts with just one button press.
2. If the personal alarm is a smartwatch and has GPS, highlight the personal alarm smartwatch’s ability to track their physical activity (pedometer) and monitor their health. This can provide them with insights into their daily activities and help them to stay active and healthy.
3. Emphasize the ease of use and explain the clear and simple instructions for setting up and using the personal emergency alarm. This can help to ensure that your parent can use the personal alarm without any difficulties.
4. Show them how the personal emergency alarm can be used to keep in touch with family and friends through calls. This can provide them with a sense of connectedness and ease any concerns they may have about feeling isolated.
5. Offer to help them set it up and provide ongoing support to ensure they are comfortable using it. This will help to build trust and confidence with the device.
6. Address any concerns they may have about the cost, privacy and security. Explain the measures that are in place to protect their personal data and how the device is secure.
7. Explain the battery life and how often it needs to be charged. This will prevent any inconvenience and help them understand how to maintain the device.
We understand, it’s not the easiest decision to make when buying a personal emergency alarm for an elderly parent. Ageing can come with various degrees of difficulties, such as early onset of dementia and deciding what the best course of action is could be daunting. We are a Dementia Choices Accredited organisation providing solutions for those suffering with dementia. If your parent suffers from an early onset of dementia however they are able to live independently and only need a few reminders, using assistive technology could be that bridge for your peace of mind.
Mario Fenech is a former NRL professional rugby league player who is now 60 years old and dealing with early onset dementia. Despite the challenges that come with this condition, Mario has found a valuable tool in the mCareWatch mobile personal emergency alarm. This device has greatly improved his quality of life and the lives of his family members, particularly his wife, Rebecca.
The mCareWatch is a mobile personal emergency alarm that helps Mario and Rebecca with their daily activities. One of the most important features of this device is the GPS location tracking, which allows Rebecca to know where Mario is at all times. This gives her peace of mind and reassurance that he is safe, especially when he is out on his own.
In addition to the GPS tracking, the mCareWatch also has a reminder function that helps Mario stay on top of appointments and tasks that he needs to complete. This is especially helpful as he is likely to forget where he needs to be or what he needs to do.
One of the most valuable features of the mCareWatch is the ability for Rebecca to call Mario on the mCareWatch and talk to him. This helps him stay connected with his loved ones and gives him a sense of security knowing that he can reach out to them at any time. Additionally, the mCareWatch allows Mario to call out to family members with the speed dial capability with their photo, which is a great support for him and his family.
Overall, the mCareWatch has been a great support for Mario and his family, providing them with the peace of mind and independence they need. This device has helped Mario navigate the challenges of early onset dementia and has greatly improved his quality of life. As a husband and wife, the mCareWatch has been a great tool for Rebecca to assist her husband and allows Mario to maintain some level of independence. It is a great solution for anyone dealing with dementia or other cognitive challenges and is a great example of how technology can be used to improve the lives of those affected by these conditions.
This story is a perfect example of all those considerations that are important when buying a personal emergency alarm for an elderly parent. Whether that’s the sense of security and peace of mind for elderly parents or spouses or the safety and independence you’d like for your loved ones. We’ve compared the mCareWatch with the popular Apple watch and outlined some of the key differences in this article. You might find this also helpful.
Safety and independence for elderly parents
We’ve recently received a beautiful testimonial from Nick Pronin in NSW sharing why he bought the mCareMate personal emergency alarm for his father:
“The mCareMate Pendant Alarm has literally saved our 91 year old mothers life. After a fall at home she broke her hip and would have been alone for days but managed to call family on her device and help was there within an hour. We could not give a greater endorsement for this product. Brilliant technology.”
The Australian market is saturated with options and we know first hand how difficult some of our clients find buying a personal emergency alarm for an elderly parent. We’ve served thousands of clients over the years, from ageing parents, clients living with disabilities and also protecting the personal safety of those most in need (such as those suffering from domestic or family violence). To enable the safety and independence for wearers is truly priceless.
The team at mCare Digital would be more than happy to discuss your personal emergency alarm needs and talk about our devices available for purchase – the award winning CHOICE reviewed mCareWatch and the mCareMate pendant. Please call us on 1300 188 557 Mon to Fri during business hours and one of our friendly customer service representatives in Australia will answer your call.